Be advised that the FDA does not regulate the cosmetic and personal-care industry. You should look at your beauty products labels the same way you look at food labels. There are a lot of toxic chemicals in your products, many of which are being absorbed into your body. These synthetic chemicals are skin irritants, skin penetrators, endocrine disrupters and are carcinogenic. Here are just a few that you should highly avoid.
- Parabens – Parabens are widely used preservatives that prevent the growth of bacteria, mold and yeast in cosmetic products. Parabens also possess estrogen-mimicking properties that are associated with increased risk of breast cancer. These chemicals are absorbed through the skin and have been identified in biopsy samples from breast tumors. Bottom line is to stay clear of any product that contains parabens! They are found in many of the body washes, shampoos and facial cleansers on the market today.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate – SLS can be found in more than 90% of personal care products today! Most products that foam contain SLS. They are known to be skin, lung, and eye irritants. A major concern about SLS is its potential to interact and combine with other chemicals to form nitrosamines, a carcinogen. These combinations can lead to a host of other issues like kidney and respiratory damage. Found in most things that foam including shampoo, body wash and facial cleansers.
- Mineral Oil – Mineral Oil is a by-product of petroleum that’s used in moisturizers, creams, and styling gels. It creates a film that impairs the skin’s ability to release toxins. There is strong evidence that mineral oil hydrocarbons are the greatest contaminant of the human body.
- Petrolatum – Petrolatum, commonly known as petroleum jelly, is a byproduct of petroleum. Petrolatum is a soft paraffin or wax mixture sold as a topical skin ointment. The side effects of petrolatum include finding the petroleum byproduct in breast tumors, suffocation of the skin, premature aging and aggravated acne. Found in many moisturizers and lotions.
- Formaldehyde – Formaldehyde is used in many cosmetic products to help prevent bacteria growth. This chemical was deemed as a human carcinogen by The International Agency for Research on Carcinogens (IARC) and has been linked to nasal and nasopharyngeal cancer. It’s also known to cause allergic skin reactions and may be harmful to the immune system. It can be found in body washes, shampoos, conditioners, and nail polish.
Ongaro Beauty contains the best ingredients on the market today and has none of these harmful toxic ingredients!